Thursday, May 25, 2006

Entry: How lucky I am

So, I was downtown and the group that I was with decided to do a little social exercise. We each had a pen and paper and we had to each write down 10 different wishes. These wishes were to be taken home and stored in a private place for a month and then 10 new ones would be written. Of course, I was more than willing to indulge in the writing of the wishes but pretty much stopped short of taking them home and stuffing under my matress (between my latest copies of Wired and Playboy).

So, I was sitting there trying to think of my wishes. I could hear the theme to Jeopardy playing through my head over and over. I was almost waiting for Alex Trebek (sp?) to say "Jason...your answer, please...". I found that I was actually having trouble coming up with something to wish for. I'm not one for "selfish" wishing to begin with, but I was genuinely having trouble. Although this was surprising, it wasn't as surprising as looking around and watching everyone else as they put pen to paper and quickly found 20-30 different things to wish for. I jokingly mentioned that I was having difficulty and the person leading the exercise says..."Have you put down that you wish for more money and more love?". I told her that I considered those to be somewhat petty and that I was fine where I was. "But EVERYONE wants more money" she says in retort. It's times like that that I realize how lucky I really am.

I really do think that half of the equation is having the ability to work toward what you want and the other half is the ability to enjoy what you have. I.E...the ability to purchase a Ferarri and attract a blonde bombshell and the ability to enjoy the fact that you have them! ;) (kidding)

What is up with all these crazy let's-talk-philosophy posts that I've been doing lately?! Where's all the interesting stuff????

No comments: