Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Entry: Science is cool

So...I'm sitting there on the plane yesterday on my return trip from El Paso. I take a swig from the bottle of water that I bought in TX and put the bottle in the pouch in the seat in front of me. The captain comes over the intercom and says that we're starting our decent. About 20 minutes later, there's a very loud cracking noise that scares the crud out of myself and the girl sitting next to me. I look down and the bottle has partially imploded in on itself. The girl looks at me and says "What the heck was that??"....to which I answer "That was Dr. Boyle saying 'hello'". How nerdy was that?!?!

P.S. I haven't opened the bottle yet. I'm planning on taking it with me on my next plane ride if I can get it through customs.

9 comments:

Jerri said...

Good luck getting it back past if there's liquid in it.... I wanna see the results.

Did we tell you about superfreezing? Cool trick!!

Jerri said...

BTW, nothing and then four in a row? Feast or famine around here man!!!

Jason C. Miller said...

Superfreezing? Sounds neato. You'll have to enlighten me. :)

mblitch said...

That is what I was in New Mexico when the temp got down to 17-23 degrees at night.

Jerri said...

Step 1: Put a bottle of water in the fridge. The type shouldn't matter.
Step 2: Put it in your freezer for about 1:15 (you can try several,
one at 1:00, one at 1:15, etc, until it works).
Step 3: Get out your cameraphone and/or get the bottle out of the freezer.
Step 4: Smack it on the counter and watch it suddenly freeze.
Step 5: Make a file that plays under quicktime.

Enjoy!

Jerri said...

Oh, smack the bottle on the counter, not the phone.

Jason C. Miller said...

That *IS* a pretty neat trick. :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lISK1YFcZBM&NR=1

Jerri said...

Also works if you add just once cube of ice, snow, a freeze pop etc instead of smacking on counter. Also works with other liquids, but not peroxide (also don't leave peroxide in the refrigerator, you might take a swig of it in the middle of the night when you are confused, ask O).

Jason C. Miller said...

That seems like it would be a VERY disgusting mistake to make!