Monday, February 20, 2006

Entry: In God We Trust.

I received this e-mail from a good friend earlier. I thought it was interesting...



--------------------------------------------------------------------------
I'm proud to send this one...

I PLEDGE ALLEGIANCE TO THE FLAG, OF THE UNITED STATES OF
AMERICA, AND TO THE REPUBLIC, FOR WHICH IT STANDS, ONE
NATION UNDER GOD, INDIVISIBLE, WITH LIBERTY AND JUSTICE FOR
ALL.

I was asked to send this on if I agree or de lete if I don't.
It is said that 86% of Americans believe in God. Therefore
I have a very hard time understanding why there is such a
problem in having "In God We Trust" on our money and having
"God" in the Pledge of Allegiance. Why don't we just tell
the 14% that they're free to leave the country if they don't
like it! If you agree, pass this on, if not delete it.

I AGREE !!!
--------------------------------------------------------------

I'm actually very glad that I received this. It gives me the opportunity to vent on something that has always bothered me.

First off, a little history (for those who don't already know this). In 1954, the phrase "Under God" was added to the pledge of allegiance and the following year saw the addition of "In God We Trust" being added to all American currency. Contrary to popular belief, these phrases were NOT always there. They were added to solidify America's diametrically opposite views of the ever-growing atheistic stance of the communist powers. Even if I agreed with America's stance at the time, I still think it's fair to say that that addition to the pledge is no longer applicable given the reasons that it was added.

Now, let's check out some similar situations...

- A LOT of people in this country smoke. However, the majority does not and (arguably) think that the others are simply forcing a disgusting habit on the rest. The smoking minority can feel free to leave this country if they don't agree with the rest.

- In 1920, the 19th Amendment was made to the US constitution which granted women the right to vote. If a census had been taken among the male and female populations at the time, I'd be willing to bet that the majority of the country would NOT want to give women that right (this includes the conservative female demographic). Therefore, at the time, all people who felt otherwise should have been gladly free to leave this country because they didn't agree with everyone else.

- In 1862, President Lincoln abolished slavery with the 13th Amendment to the US constitution. If a popular vote were taken at the time regarding whether or not that amendment should have passed, do you really think that it would have?

(By the way...feel free to argue the statments above. I'm a computer jock, not a historian. What's important is that you GET WHAT I'M SAYING - and please don't argue that you don't.)

The U.S. is a very heterogeneous populous. It has always been my humbled opinion that her doctrine's should be compatible with everyone possible. By having "under god" in the pledge, we ensure that it only applies to a percentage of her people. By NOT having it there, we make it so that ALL can enjoy pledging their allegiance. I'll never understand why people think that God isn't given more than the necessary reverence every single minute of every single day. Why must we force it in our pledge to our country? I'll spare you guys my seperation-of-church-and-state speech. But seriously....some of this planet's worst atrocities have been commited under the impression that one school of thought should be forced upon the whole.

So, what's the bottom line to all this? Simple. Firstly, just because a lot of people agree on something doesn't necessarily make it right. Secondly, trying to enforce your idea of "right" on someone else is the same thing that has started some of the worst of history's wars. What if the roles were reversed? What if the majority wanted "Under God" removed from the pledge and told all the others that they were "free to leave this country" if they didn't like it? Do you really think that they'd wanna leave either? Probably not. They'd probably huddle in a corner somewhere in a fetal position and keep as quiet as possible.

Anywho....asalamalekum! ;)

No comments: