Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Movie: Avatar

Ah yes....'Avatar'. Everyone's talking about it, most are seeing it, and a large number are seeing it more than once. Did I enjoy it? The answer is a resounding "yes". I enjoyed the h*ll out of it. I get swept up in so few movies anymore. This one, however, struck several chords.

Firstly, yes....it was a very politically-charged production. Anyone with an affinity for politics will find plenty to either gripe about or praise. It had everything including inter-racial coupling, loyalty and patriotism, environmentalism, the scientific process, and the ever-evolving might of the military industrial complex. I cared just enough to be able to identify all that stuff but none of it really struck a nerve. I'm sure that the engineers in the world will smirk at the iconic use of "unobtainium".

So, what was it that I liked so much about this movie? Well...firstly, I enjoyed how Cameron was able to enable the moments in the story to so easily translate through the screen. In this particular context, I'd say that the movie was "epic". I also really enjoyed the soundtrack. James Horner really outdid himself (especially since his primary claims to fame have been the 'Star Trek' movies).

However, it was a single line in the movie that really piqued my interested in the story. In the beginning, our hero, Jake Sulley (a disabled former marine), is sent to the planet Pandora to reluctantly fill the role that his since-murdered twin brother was contracted to play. From the beginning, the character really doesn't seem to be in lock-step with the people around him. In his own words, he became a marine for "the hardship, because he believed he could pass any test that a man could take". The only thing missing in his life was "something worth fighting for". That's the line that got me since I've seen it echoed time and time again in society. Of course, Jake had to go to completely different solar system to find his cause. I guess you could say that I'm still on my quest for "empassionment" and that that is why I identify so much with his character.

Hmmm....on that note, maybe I should join the USMC! :)

(And no, Mom. That was a joke. I'm not really going to join the military.)

1 comment:

Jerri said...

Purpose, forward motion.