Sunday, July 31, 2011

Entry: Camping at Cataloochee

Had a great time this weekend camping with Sean, Betsy, and Heather up at the Cataloochee camp site in NC. Unfortunately, I didn't get any pictures of the scary-as-heck you're-all-gonna-die dirt roads that we took to get there. It's odd how they'd spend all that money to landscape dirt roads like that but not a single penny on guard rails to keep people from plummeting to their doom in their vehicles.


A panoramic shot of the mountains.


Heather (left), Betsy (middle), Sean (right).


Random wilderness shot.


Heather tending house in our tent. You can't rough it without your double-height queen-size inflatable bed!


As you can see, our tent didn't exactly fit on the "slab" that was apportioned for us so it kinda hung off the side.


A great shot of heather by the river (with a sunbeam bisecting her body).


The fire between my legs.


My trunk turned into a kitchen pantry.


Betsy showing us how it's done on the ol' Coleman grill. Those were some pretty awesome pancakes, too! (And sausage, and hash browns).


Panoramic shot of our campsite.


I was stalking Heather with my camera as she read by the river.


Our first real "wild animal". This elk is so wild that it has a collar.


Nobody would have ever believed me if I told them that I saw a golf cart made to look like a Hummer unless I had a picture of it.


Awwww. Betsy and Sean (as we begin our 8-10 mile hike).


Gandalf finds his staff.


YOUUUU.....SHALL NOOOOT....PAAAAAAASSSSS!!!!!!!


WTH is this?? It perplexed us for a while until we accidentally destroyed it with Gandalf's staff.


This tree was awesome. Someone had hollowed out the base of it with fire. It had really good acoustics!


Just hopping along our merry way.


The bridge that was mysteriously broken in half.


Kinda looks like I'm walking the plank.


Sean trying to fix his beach chair with...wait for it....twine!


Awwww yeaaaahhh!! Dinner that evening consisted of potatoes cooked with carrots and onions, chicken breast, and corn-on-the-cob.


The dinner as it cooked.


Overall, the weekend was a raving success. I only suffered a bee sting, a sore knee, and some near-blisters on my feet. Looking very forward to the next outing.

No comments: