Sunday, February 11, 2007

Article: Sequel to 'The Dark Crystal'

Yep...it's official...they're making a sequel to some people's favorite 80's fantasy flick. Honestly, I think that the film industry's ability to create decent fantasy movies died in the early 90s. That was around the time when imagination was conquered by computer imagery. Bah I say! I almost wish that they wouldn't even bother with this sequel. Some movies like 'The Dark Crystal', 'Labyrinth', 'Legend', 'Neverending Story', etc, should just be left as glorious memories. We don't need another repeat of 'Terminator 3'. Sheesh...now THAT was a great way to murder a good story.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I agree. Hollywood has totally run out of ideas. For good fantasy, check outside of Hollywood. Though, I know you particularly didn't care for it, Pan's Labyrinth was an excellent fantasy (just not for kids). China has put out several really good fantasy/martial arts flicks as well. Korea and Japan also have some interesting fantasy films as well.

The other issue is that the fantasies you are talking about came around in the 80s. Most every fantasy movie in the 80s has a happy ending. In the new millenia, it seems as the world has become pessimistic. Even happy endings are wrapped in sadness and suffering.

Jason C. Miller said...

I definately liked 'Pan's Labyrinth'. I thought it was a great flick. The only thing is that, as you alluded (sp?) to, I'm still stuck in the mindset of the 80's happy-ending fantasy flicks.

The only thing that I really disliked about Pan was the ending. I think that, given the drama throughout the movie, that the ending was somewhat anticlimactic.