Tuesday, October 23, 2007

Entry: My first hash cruise

Ah yes. Yet another hashing event come and gone. This was my very first cruise - let alone my very first hash at sea. As always, the hash was an absolute BLAST. Unfortunately it was the first time that I'd been outside of the country in 20 years. Pathetic...I know. I've resolved to not let as much time go by until the next time. Will I be on the list for next year's cruise? ABSOLUTELY!

As so often happens after I return from an event with Mike, I find that I'm a slightly different person. I met so many wonderful people and did so many wonderful things. It really is a treat to be able to hang out with people who's ideas of fun are so unconventional and yet so accepting. It was one of those moments in time where I had the chance to live someone else's life and keep all the memories from it.

And, as so often happens, I think that I will be feeling the effects of this event for weeks to come. I'm sure that some of the people will have affected me indefinitely. Some more than others. I learned a new pearl of wisdom from someone whom I found to be deceptively wise for her time. Now, whenever I face something that petrifies me, I will most likely be thinking to myself...."If you're not scared, then it's not brave". This person was quite a find. She was an amalgam of a hasher, a soldier, a mother, a teacher, a leader, and so many other things that I am not. On the outside, one would see an ordinary person. But to look in her eyes at the right time, one would see experience, endlessness, depth, confidence....and so much more of the universe.

It's amazing how the "craziest" people can sometimes be the most compassionate. Beneath the facade of partying, drunkenness, and absolute hedonism, there was the aura of a group that would do anything to help each other in times of need. Fortunately, it wasn't needed much on this trip, but I could still tell it was there. It's one of the most surprising attributes of a hasher that I have experienced.

To the following people, I leave...
  • Kiddie - much love and affection. She is the greatest host/listener that you will ever have the privilege of meeting.
  • TMDD - the usual - unlimited thanks and a good swift kick in the rear until the next time I see him.
  • The karaoke girl - the very best of luck on her upcoming career in England
  • Atilla - The hot Hungarian chick that I certainly HOPE you didn't let slip through your fingers!
  • Fuzzy - A walk around the deck of any ship at sunrise
  • Ear Muff - All the pumpkin soup and back rubs your heart could ever desire. Thank you for caring.
  • Goo S. - All the YooHoo you could ever drink (or give to me) ;)
  • Doo Doo - An Oscar
  • Caption Jerk - A "bloody good screw"
  • The guy who made up my room every day - A great origami book and endless Carnival chocolates
  • Bone S.- a little piece of me

Top 10 favorite things list...
  • "Tandem zip lining" (Was that actually ME????)
  • The desk (don't ask)
  • 7:00am trans-substantial conversations with Fuzzy over a hot plate of pseudo-eggs and scrapple
  • Kiddie's gold coin game (I'm still owed some favors, too)
  • Bone sucker, aka Bone Thruster, aka Bone Stripper, aka Rod Licker, aka Bone Humper, aka Bone Teaser, etc...
  • Goo Swallows hand-feeding the Honduran driver some cheesy poofs, Munchies, and Family Cookies (The mommies were the best!!). She was also the best YooHoo server ever!
  • "Sing me a song, Karaoke Girl..." "...and we're all in the mood, for a bloody good screw..."
  • "This is a group-participation song. Are there any children here? If so...leave now."
  • "Thank you, pumpkin."
  • Watching Dirty Sanchez dodge other vehicles while Guido the Killer Pimp opens beer with his teeth.
Kiddie...to you...my thanks, my love, and maybe my firstborn. ;)

xoxo

17 comments:

Jerri said...

If all the little pieces are swept together and hidden under the rug, we can look at the giant elephant and call it creative landscaping. Or pretend it isn't there. You know, same thing. It's all in the details.

:-)

Thank you. I will guard it appropriately.

Jason C. Miller said...

Wow. And I thought *I* was cryptic!! :)

Jerri said...

I'm going to take that as a compliment.

Jason C. Miller said...

Well....I haven't insulted you yet! :)

Jerri said...

Yet... Hmmpppff.

Hey kettle, you're having a conversation on your blog.

Jason C. Miller said...

That's actually debatable. Firstly, you're the one who instigated it and, since you're a known blog-conversationalist, I think that it's arguable that this is my fault at all. Secondly, I've never had a shotgunned 30-message blog-conversation in a matter of an hour. Therefore, You can call me 'kettle' all you want, my dear. I will sleep just fine tonight knowning that I was wrongfully painted. <:p

Jerri said...

Come on, all the other kids are doing it!!!

Jerri said...

It was a 2 day conversation. And we were on the phone for most of it as well.

That was supposed to be a defense, but it just made it worse, didn't it? :-)

Everything is my fault! Didn't I tell you?

Jason C. Miller said...

Everything is your fault as long as you agree that it is. THAT'S the dirty little secret that the world doesn't want you to know. Shhhhh!!

Jerri said...

Hey, it makes everyone feel good to blame it on someone else. I don't mind. I have big shoulders.

Jason C. Miller said...

I have nice shoulders too. In fact, they're about the same size as your thighs.

Jerri said...

Crickey!

Jason C. Miller said...

Look at that beauty!!!

Jerri said...

Ask me how long it took me to get that reference!

I meant Pinfold though... you might be too young. :-)

Jason C. Miller said...

Yeah....you are kinda old. ;)

Jerri said...

Yep, you should listen to your elders...

Let me see, what will I need for you to do first?

Jerri said...

And to you this year: A large piece of me.