Thursday, May 25, 2006

Entry: How far for freedom of speech?

The premise of this post really doesn't have much to do with the freedom of speech. I just thought that it would make a good title. :) I just figured that I'd use this forum to voice a few thoughts swirling around in my head (as usual).

I was reading this article over at CNN about the recent events in the last few months concerning a very loud and obnoxious group of protestors who like to show up at military funerals and make a scene. Just a note...my writing is going to be avoiding the rhetoric that is put out by both sides of this issue. (Yes...I really do think that the propoganda machine is used by all parties involved.)

For those unfamiliar with what's going on, some group from Kansas (that I REALLY don't like but still feel the need to be impartial in my posts) has decided that God is punishing America for its tolerance of homosexuality by killing off our troops during their service in foreign conflicts. If you click on the above link, you can see a wonderful illustration that goes with the story. They wave signs that say things like "It's too late to pray", "God is your enemy", and "Thank God for IEDs" (IED = 'road-side bomb' in this context).

How in the heck do dead soldiers equate to God's wrath on homosexuals (which he didn't seem to care about in the book of Genesis, which I'm currently reading)?? And secondly, it seems to me that the whole "respecting the dead" thing should be a tad inherent in all of us. Perhaps I'm mistaken (although I'd be surprised if I was). This is where I try to avoid the rhetoric of using the word "hero" and other such labels. It seems to me that labels are attached to everything that is undertaken by the current administration and the press. I admire the fallen warriors by virtue of their duty. They volunteered for a lifestyle and were brave enough to stand up and do it in the face of highly-potential death. I doubt that I would ever have the tenacity to do it. THAT TANGENT ASIDE THOUGH....regardless of whether these people are fallen soldiers/marines, warriors, heroes, proprietors of freedom, or whatever else you choose to call them, the fact of the matter is that they are DEAD and the family, under no circumstances, should be deprived of their right to see that person off into the great beyond. You only get one chance for that kind of good-bye.

D'oh! I've lost my train of thought on this. Time to end it.

1 comment:

Vera said...

I agree, I think is odious beyond belief to disrespect the dead and the grieving families that way.

There are better ways to state what you believe.