Wednesday, May 03, 2006

Entry: Wasted Workout

Have you ever gone to the gym and wondered why some people bother going at all? The folks that I have in mind for this particular post are the ones who are either under the impression that they need to look nice to workout (since some people MAY notice) or that they want to look nice to workout (so that other people WILL notice). I have to ask what the point is? I even saw one girl at the gym yesterday whom I SWEAR must have spent an hour just picking out the clothes that she was going to wear to the gym. She even had a "cute" little hat that matched her ensemble (something you'd wear to a dance club on a Friday night), some ridiculously large earings, necklaces, and more than enough makeup. I even made a point to notice that she was doing the slackest possible exercises. Things like walking the treadmill at .75MPH for 3 minutes and then spending the rest of the time walking around the gym LOOKING for things to do as opposed to actually doing any of them.

This is, of course, just a random note. I do understand that some people have ulterior motives when going to a gym. But I have to admit that it's just plain odd to see someone like that walk in. They can't help but stick out like a sore thumb.

Anyway...that's my being judgemental for the day. :)

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

The gym is an interesting place. Certainly, some people actually do go there to work out and gain some benefit. I think that the majority of people that go to the gym are more interested in the social aspect. Anyone can work out in their home. Even an apartment can fit an exercise bike or small weight bench. The gym is a place where people can meet outside of work to socialize.

Jason C. Miller said...

Now, granted, some people do go to the gym to socialize. However, I must submit that the (vast) majority of folks that I've seen at gyms are there for business (so to speak). They wanna exercise...even if they talk while they're doing it. The kind of person of which I speak is the kind who socializes and (maybe) lifts a little 2 lb. dumbell every 10 minutes or so. :)

Anonymous said...

wicke:

When is the last time you've been to a gym? There is not that much social interaction going on. Most of the people at my gym go there because of the convience of having tons of different machines and lots of cardio equipment to use. They also take the classes and take advantage of the trainers on staff. You really can't meet people because they are busy on cardio equipment and really don't want to talk or they have headphones on. Also, most women hate to be approaced in a gym.

Jason C. Miller said...

Last time I was in a gym would have to be.......about 2 hours before I wrote that entry. :)

And I'm NOT saying that the social interaction is the norm, I'm saying.....

(sigh)

Nevermind. Lost the will to continue. :)

Anonymous said...

my comment was aimed at wicke, I guess I should have said that.

Jason C. Miller said...

Yeah...that's what I get for not reading. :)

Anonymous said...

Sorry, I was distracted by "Get any Desired College Degree". So enticing...

Anyways, yeah, it's been a while since I went to the gym. The reason being, it was to "social" for me. Perhaps I just had a bad experience. I was used to training in my high school weight room and there it was all business.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.