Saturday, September 03, 2011

Entry: Germany, Day 1

After being picked up from the airport this morning ~10am local time (and being half catatonic from jetlag and lack of sleep), we trekked straight over to the city of Trier. I'd never heard of it but, MAN, was it cool!!
I actually ended up accidentally uploading these in reverse order. But anyway, here they is. :)

We went to the Church of St. Gangolph. It was pretty neat. Unfortunately, there was a mass going on so we couldn't really do much.

Georganna and her hubby, Curtis. He's....enthused.


A random fountain.

The entrance. Doesn't that centurion look kinda drunk?


We went to the Cathedral of St. Peter. It was, for lack of better words, absolutely off the hook!

That is one truly awesome graveyard.


More dead people.


A panorama shot of the inside.


Inside, different angle.


Inside, take #3.


Cool looking dome. It's amazing what impoverished monks and saints can afford.


A holy man hole.


The twin sister sisters. So, you can say sisters^2 or sisters(sisters()).


I know that some cultures don't care about much, but if someone came up to me and said, "Dude...do you mind if we put you on the cover of a book with your boobs hanging down over your gut and diaper?", I would probably say "no". But that's just me.


"Not Swimming"???


Yield to angelic SCUBA divers.


We also visited Porta Negra. It's a million-year-old Roman gate that used to be the entrance to the city. Absolutely awesome!!

A view from the inside.


Those romans knew how to build some seriously tall spaces.


Ashleigh and Georganna flirting with the local centurion.


An external view of the gates.


Women and children allowed here. (Pay no attention to the anatomically excited lions in the background.)


Women and children NOT allowed here.


These are shots of Basilica of Constantine. Apparently, before it was a Presbyterian church, it was used as a Roman throne room during the Constantine era.


Talk about tall!!


The obligatory cross.


Die, Bible!!


Another part of the Basilica.


Cool fountain.


Nice pond.


6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am so, so, sooooooo jealous! Please be sure to touch every single beautiful, ancient, half ruined stone on the entire continent for me. You know how things like that make me happy. Miss you and, again, sooooooo jealous. :)
-Heather

JulieD said...

Great pictures! Looks like your trip is off to an awesome start!

JulieD said...

Great pictures! Looks like your trip is off to an awesome start!

Santa Anna Winds said...

OMG, I knew there was a reason I am a Christian Buddhist. I so love that you are taking us on your trip this way. I am not missing out on a thing. I love and just think, I dont have to pay a dime for getting to share this all up front and personal. I hate you have sucky internet access, but this will due. I watched Star Wars for you this weekend so you wont feel like you missed out on Dragon Con. I cant wait to see Perry's trip too. Gotta love it. Thank God you are ok. Hi Heather and Julie. Cant wait to meet you both.

Santa Anna Winds said...

OMG, thank you for taking us on your trip with you across the ocean. How on Earth will you get us all back past Customs?

Anonymous said...

This comment thing is acting stupid.