Wednesday, January 25, 2006

Article: Is love madness?

Daphne was kind enough to tell me about this article and I figured that I would throw a reference to it here. It talks about the effects of love being close kin to madness.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Scientists say that the brain chemistry of infatuation is akin to mental
illness—which gives new meaning to "madly in love."
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Honestly, this has been one of my more radical beliefs. I use the word "radical" since most people probably wouldn't agree with me. Also, it probably wouldn't serve to get me too many dates either. :)

But seriously, the effects of love have never been a mystery to me. I honestly liken it to being under the influence (ie. drugs/alcohol). It really does have all the earmarks of a drug! Think about it...immediate satisfaction...strange behavior...withdrawal...etc. This article lends some credibility to this notion.

The part that has always been a mystery to me is not the "how", but the "who" and "why". That's where the magic is for me. "Why this person and not that one?" Then again, that's just me. :)

No comments: