Tuesday, January 03, 2006

Entry: Recommended gadgets

I figure that it's time that I give some kudos to some very neat technologies that I have recently started using. They have both survived their trial runs and I can honestly say that I'm hooked!

The first such service is Vonage. That is one kick-butt company! Not only am I impressed-as-heck with the service, but I also took my vonage phone adapter with me down to Tampa over the holidays. I plugged it into my buddy's internet connection and voila! I took my home phone with me. That was just cool. People in Charleston were making local calls to me as if I was still there and at no extra charge. Plus, even though I wasn't in Charleston, all of my long distance calling was free. Vonage is the bomb! Check it out at www.vonage.com if you haven't already. The only downfall to this is that you have to have a reliable broadband internet service provider. So far, my Comcast service has fit the bill. I hope it remains that way.

Secondly, I'd like to give it up to the folks over at Tivo. I got one for Xmas and am loving it! I don't know how I survived the last 5 years without one. It's time to get caught up on my 'Family Guy' and my 'Farscape'. Also, there's a 'Battlestar Galactica' marathon on Thursday that I'm looking to enjoy over the weekend. ;) Go to www.tivo.com and read about the rich set of features that this system provides. I could actually argue that a DVR helps you watch less TV. On a random note, I watched my first (pre-recorded) episode of MacGuyver yesterday. It was the pilot episode. Did you know that you can seal a leak in a tank filled with sulfuric acid with a candy bar? Yeah...neither did I. Now we do! :)

5 comments:

mblitch said...

And if you get a TIVO, don't forget to use me as a referral (tivo@oasisofficepark.com)

mblitch said...

Doh, I just realized, does that count as blog comment spam?

Jason C. Miller said...

Nope. I know you so it's ok. Do as many plugs as you want. :)

mblitch said...

OK. I'm Mike, I'm 29, single, 6', brown hair, and athletic. Single women, email me!

Jason C. Miller said...

Geezus. He's turned me into a cyber-pimp!