Saturday, January 14, 2006

Entry: Today's hashing

I did my first solo hash today. I was fortunate enough to hook up with the Happy Heretics. They were a very nice group of folks. Unfortunately, the weather wasn't all that great today (windy and cold-as-heck) which accounted for a pretty poor turnout. Still, as was expected, they welcomed the new complete stranger into their ranks and treated him as if they'd known him their entire lives.

The hash was a good one. It was a 5K trail that went past a couple lakes that I had no idea were even there. There are actually a LOT of things that I saw today in Mt. Pleasant that I was previously unaware of. By the way....putting flour down next to "No Trespassing" signs might not be the greatest idea ever conceived. ;)

Oddly enough, there are no large hashing groups in the Charleston areas. They really only schedule hashes for big events (and from what I understand, they get pretty good turnouts). But they have no regular hashing schedule. Bummer. I wonder if I can do anything about that. I'm looking forward to the Bridge run this year. No bridge run for me, but plenty of hashing to be done. :)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

What is hashing???? Help those from other areas understand.... sounds fun!

Jason C. Miller said...

Well, anonymous, that is a very good question. To best answer your question (because I would truly lack the words to describe it), I shall simply refer you to a good primer that could explain it a whole lot better than I ever could. :)

http://www.half-mind.com/Hashing/who.htm

By the way....I STILL don't drink (for those of you who might be wondering afterward).

mblitch said...

Oh my. What have I done. I thought that introducing Jason to the hash when he was in Tampa was just a way to torture him, and amuse me for an evening. I had no idea of what I might have created.

For those unaware of hashing, you can read more at Jason's link as well as the all knowing Wiki [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hash_House_Harriers].

It can be called a 'drinking club with a running problem' that welcomes all kinds of people. While most drink, it isn't required and frankly, the group doesn't really care as long as you do the required down-downs with whatever your drink of choice may be. At some point, the group is supposed to run on a trail set by the hare. This trail can go absolutely anywhere and is designed to keep things interesting. You may find yourself going over fences, through wood trails, or even through chest deep swamp water.

I'm glad you had fun and will hope to hear more again.

Mike B
(Tie Me Down Dick - Tampa Bay Hash House Harriers)

Jason C. Miller said...

Actually, Mike, you should come down here for the bridge run hash. :)