Friday, January 13, 2006

Entry: Two-timing....good or bad?

I'd like to hear some opinions on the idea of dating multiple people at the same time. I'll try to get the ball rolling myself.

It has been my opinion in the past that it is permisable to date more than one person at a time provided that there are certain rules that are observed. They are....
  1. You are not in a commited relationship with any of them. You are, instead, simply trying multiple avenues to see which one "fits" best with the idea being that you will eventually end up in a committed relationship with someone
  2. You are not indulging in any sexual activity with any of them
  3. They are all aware that you are seeing other people as well
  4. You are completely forthcoming when the time comes for you to commit to someone and the others need to know about it
Now, keep in mind that I am not claiming that my way is the "right way" of doing things. I am just curious to hear other people's views about it. And please feel free to post anonymously for this one if you want to. :)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I don't believe that dating more than one person is a good idea, simply for the reason that you are never giving any of them a real chance in my opinion. You are in some ways holding back from all involved, and that does not allow anyone to truly get to know anyone. Not only that, but feelings are not meant to be toyed with, and this type of situation only breeds insecurity and the distinct possiblity of being truly hurt.

Anonymous said...

Hmmm... it is a difficult question to answer. Throughout the long history of mankind, multiple spouses have existed with both good and bad results though nowadays in the U.S it is frowned upon. If the relationship is open and all parties involved are completely aware and do not mind, I see no problem with it. Personally, I would never engage in such an activity but I don't condemn it.

Anonymous said...

It's always going to be a bad thing no matter how hard you try to make sure and abide by your rules. I've learned that it doesn't matter if the person tells you that they're "cool" with you dating someone else because that's usually not true. They will most likely get jealous and it will end badly. I just don't think it's a good idea. I've been on both sides of this situation and it ended badly both times. Not something that I would do again.

Jason C. Miller said...

Why is it that I'm always the last one to learn these lessons? :)