Monday, November 28, 2005

Book: State of Fear

One thing that I have noticed about Michael Crichton's books is that they're very easy to read. They may be jam-packed with information and other miscellaneous goodies, but it's very easy to keep reading them once you've started.

I give this one 6 out of 10 stars. I wasn't really all that enthralled with the story. I'm not much of an eco-geek. Although, I must admit that this story did bring a lot of interesting issues to the foreground.

My biggest beef with this book would have to be that Kenner (the uber scientist who knows just about everything about everything) knows too d**m much! Every time someone has something to say, he'll attack them with an endless scientific argument and the literary references for each off the top of his head. Man...if only we could all do that!

Honestly (and scarily), what I most enjoyed about this story was the dynamic that Peter Evans had with the various females in his life. He had Sarah (his co-worker whom he initially wanted), Jennifer (the lawyer with a strange aptitude for special ops combat), and Janis (is lusty "uncomplex" FWB). It's kinda interesting watching Sarah and Jennifer interact with each other, and also watching when Sarah meets Janis. Yeah...I know. This was supposed to be a very insignificant part of the storyline, but it's the part that I found the most entertaining.

No comments: