Thursday, December 15, 2005

Article: The 'Make My Day' law

This is an interesting little tidbit which just so happens to flare an age-old pet peeve of mine.

Colorado has a law called the 'Make My Day' law which gives homeowners the right to defend themselves with deadly force if they are endangered on their own property. Apparently, four teenagers (one was 19, I don't know about the others) assaulted this guy in his house. Upon exiting the house and trying to leave in their car, the homeowner fired a single round which killed the driver of the car as it was getting away. The homeowner was then pulled up on charges of 1st degree murder.

Here's an interesting excerpt..

--------------------------------
"It's a miscarriage of justice," said Sen. Jim Brandon, who helped craft the law. The law meant a home's door to be a threshold for an illegal entry, not down the street, he said.
--------------------------------

So, in short, these four dudes enter this guys home and assault him. The second that they step outside his door, the laws as they apply to the assailants change radically. It's like I've always heard...."If you shoot someone trying to break into your house, make sure that the body ends up INSIDE of the house and you'll be fine.".

Something about that has NEVER rang right with me. Just my opinion though.

You can read about it here.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well, I disagree with you. I mean, yes if someone is in your house and their attacking you and you feel like your life is in danger than yes...shoot them, but if they've left then are not in danger anymore. I mean, if you think this is right, then could he have followed them back to their place and shot them as they got out of their car? You have to place a fine line between someone defending themselves and vigilantism

Jason C. Miller said...

I'll remember that when I'm breaking into your apartment and beating you to death. "Just be sure to run out the door and I'll be safe!". :)

Anonymous said...

well, if you beat me to death then it's not like I can chase you out the door then.

Anonymous said...

plus I would pull the gun on you, tell you to get back in the apartment and then shoot you.

Jason C. Miller said...

Nah. 'Cause I'd be smart enough to know that you wouldn't shoot me while I was outside. So, what incentive would I have to go back in the house?

Anonymous said...

oh, so you're just calm and collected right after you've kicked someone's ass and they pull a gun on you. Just cool as a cucumber huh? I find that hard to believe. After you pissed your pants and cried like a little girl I'd probably just let you go and call us even.

Jason C. Miller said...

(sigh)
Ya know....deep down, I'm sure that all this is just a cry for help. I'm guessing that your mother took away your teddy bear at too young an age.